Thursday, April 9, 2009

I wish I still have my old ukelele

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, my father bought me a ukelele as a birthday gift. (For those of you who don't know what a ukelele is: it is a small, four-stringed version of a guitar, which is about the size of a regular violin. It has long been associated with Hawaii. The word "ukelele" means "jumping flea" in English). I was so excited to learn how to play it. My father, who was a very good ukelele player himself, patiently taught me the basics. I used to practice playing the instrument for at least an hour or two each day after school and during weekends. I actually became very good at it. I had two ukeleles. I accidentally dropped my old one, so we bought a new one. I played the ukelele until I was 12, then I moved on to the regular guitar.

I was browsing Youtube videos last night, and chanced upon a very nice and soothing ukelele performance by ukelele legend Herb Ohta and his son Iwao. As I watch the video, I missed my old ukelele, and I wish I still have it.

I think I am probably going to end up buying a new ukelele - the musical instrument of my youth; reminisce the days when my father was still alive and the many happy days we've spent together as father and son with the ukelele.

Here are some ukelele music by ukelele legend Herb Ohta. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment