Saturday, February 21, 2009

Schubert: Arpeggione Sonata in A Minor

The Arpeggione Sonata is one of my favorite Schubert compositions. It was written for a long extinct musical instrument called the "Arpeggione", hence the title of the song. Nowadays, this piece is played using the cello, guitar and double bass. What is so special about this particular video clip, is that two of my favorite musicians, Miklos Perenyi and Andras Schiff, are playing.

Miklos Perenyi is one of my favorite cellists. He is not as well-known as the others, but I really like him very much. I saw him perform live in Carnegie Hall in New York a decade ago, and liked him ever since. As for Andras Schiff, I love his interpretations of the Beethoven Sonatas. Most enlightening was his interpretation of the so called "Moonlight Sonata" (Sonata No. 14), one of the most misinterpreted pieces in classical music.

I hope you enjoy this music.



I love classical music as much as other types of music like Rock and Heavy Metal. Sometimes, I will post my favorite Heavy Metal songs for a change :).

No comments:

Post a Comment